Sunday, November 27, 2011

"Dreamy" Apple Pie

IMG_0044

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I know I have a lot to be thankful for in my life and I am so happy that I got to spend the day with my wonderful family and amazing boyfriend. We had a delicious spread as well, with way too much food of course. But I guess that's Thanksgiving for you! One of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving is naturally dessert. I always ask everyone what their favorite dessert is for Thanksgiving and this year my sister wanted pumpkin pie and my dad wanted apple pie and my boyfriend (who isn't a big pie person) wanted dirt cake. So I made all three!

IMG_0043

First up is this apple pie and it really does live up to its "dreamy" name. I used my perfect pie crust recipe which you can find here and is made with the most amazing apple pie filling I have ever tasted. Believe me, its hard to resist just eating the filling straight out of the bowl when you're making the pie. And then instead of a traditional pie crust on top, it is topped with a streusel topping. It really gives it an awesome cinnamon flavor and it all comes together with the creamy filling. So unbelievably yummy! And as you can probably tell by the picture, this pie was instantly devoured. It was more than half gone before I even got my picture! I guess that just goes to show you how great this pie is!

Dreamy Apple Pie
Ingredients:
1 whole Unbaked Pie Crust

For The Filling:
3 whole Large (4 Or 5 Small) Granny Smith Apples, Peeled, Cored, And Sliced Thin
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon All-purpose Flour
1 cup Heavy Cream
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon

For The Topping:
7 Tablespoons Butter
3/4 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Pecans (optional)
Dash Of Salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out pie dough and place it in a pie pan. Decorate the edges as desired.

Add apple slices to a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together cream, sugars, flour, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour over apples and pour apples into pie shell.

In the bowl of a food processor (or you can mix by hand) combine butter, flour, sugar, pecans (only if using, chop if you're not using a food processor), and salt. Mix until everything comes together in clumps. Pour topping over apples.

Attach foil to the edges and lay a piece of flat foil loosely over the top of the pie. Place pie pan on top of a rimmed cookie sheet and bake for one hour. At the end, remove foil and allow to finish baking and browning. Can bake for up to 15 or 20 minutes more if necessary. Remove from oven when pie is bubbly and golden brown.

Source: Recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

1 comment: