Friday, November 11, 2011

Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes

IMG_0010

Are you ready for one boozy dessert? Kahlua is probably one of my favorite liqueurs. I love a good White Russian, yummy! So when my mom told me that her work wanted to hire me to make cupcakes for their bosses' birthday and that he was a big Kahlua fan, I knew I had to make these immediately! They are so yummy and moist and that coffee Kahlua flavor definitely stands out. I loved it, it actually really reminded me of a White Russian.

IMG_0012

And I was informed that my mom's boss absolutely loved them! I'm so glad that they were such a hit. Apparently a lot of people thought it was awesome that they could have "alcohol" at work. I'm glad I could make their day!

Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes
Ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp. instant espresso powder
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ cups sugar
1½ tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract

For brushing the cupcakes:
Kahlua liqueur

For the frosting:
12 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
7-8 tbsp. Kahlua liqueur
2 tbsp. heavy cream

Directions:
To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard cupcake pans with paper liners. In a large mixing bowl combine the cocoa powder, espresso powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt and whisk well to blend. Add the eggs, warm water, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high speed until smooth, 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake until the tops spring back when pressed lightly, about 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Let cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Poke a few holes in the top of each cupcake with the tines of a fork and brush with Kahlua while still warm. Allow to cool completely.

To make the frosting, beat the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Add in the Kahlua and beat on medium speed until well blended. Add in the heavy cream and beat on medium-high speed for about 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired. Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes.

Source: Recipe from Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment